Nelson-Galt
 
Street:  Francis
 
Construct. Period:  1700-1724
 
Roof:  Gable
 
Dormer Style:  Hipped Dormer
 
Approx. Date:  1708
 
History:  The original house was built in 1695, and it was moved to the present location in 1707 by William Robertson, clerk of the Council. Robertson expanded the house on both sides. It was owned in 1749 by William Nelson, and later by his son Thomas Nelson, a signer of the Declaration of Independence and governor of Virginia. The house was sold to the Galt family in 1823.
 
Structure:  This is a story and one-half house with a central hallway and a staircase compartment at the back and to the right of the hallway.
 
Chimneys:  The house has two interior chimneys on the side edges of the house, resulting in a fireplace near the center of each room. There is an additional secondary fireplace in the left room of unkown purpose.